Many hotels in Asia have a common problem - a moldy - mildewy - stale smell in their guest rooms. Guests check in, take a deep breath - and call the front desk to switch rooms.
The cause of this odour is not poor housekeeping. It is due to the mold spores in our air, which take root in the carpeting, furnishings, wall coverings, draperies in the guest room. With a little bit of humidity, and warmth, they grow and multiply, creating that offensive odour.
We have a permanent and inexpensive solution, that has been proven effective at many of Singapore's 4 ad 5 Star properties. As you can see in the photo above, we installed our tiny model UV SG-100A MicroPro Ozone Generator above the ceiling (at the fan coil access panel) in this 5 Star hotel's guest room. Set to turn on when the aircon is switched on, it silently generates a very gentle flow of ozone that is drawn into the guest room through the aircon duct.
All of the offensive odours are removed. The guest only notices that their room smells fresh and clean.
The UV SG-100A runs silently in the background, and consumes only 26 watts of energy. It requires no maintenance, and has our ProMedUSA 2 Year Warranty.